Sunday, May 22, 2016

Micro-aggression

             I think I've experienced micro-aggression a few times. Often on the streets, people would say "ni hao" which means how are you in Chinese. I would just respond with a "Hi" since I get annoyed at how they try to speak in an accent at times. Other times, when I'm buying food, they would say "ni hao" and I would ignore them. But they would say "aren't you Chinese?" and when I say no I'm American. They would say "no no, you're Chinese, from China right?" I find this quite hilarious but offensive at the same time so I would just say how understanding Chinese doesn't mean I want to converse with him in that language. I think that some people just try to say one word in any language (ni hao, annyeong, kon'nichiwa) thinking that they would have a connection but I feel offended unless they're actually trying to learn. Sometimes that person would say all three in order to guess what language or ethnicity I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment